Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Secret behind New Year Resolutions

Christmas is over, the presents are opened and some returned or exchanged (maybe) and plans are starting to firm up for the new year. The topic in every medium whether it be TV, radio or the Internet is about the year that went by and the year that is coming up. What have we achieved and what are we planning to achieve.

I am wondering about my new year resolutions. Some are of the opinion that new year resolutions are meant to be broken. Some start in earnest and falter once February rolls around. Some stick to their guns and make it through. And some start with one and end up with something totally different.

I always thought of resolutions as something exotic. It is giving yourself permission to do or be something that you always dreamed of. I remember saying I wanted to learn another language - Spanish. I never really expected it to happen. I did put in an effort but then in the back of my mind I kept saying that I was fooling myself. There was no way I was going to be fluent in Spanish with my schedule. I started off by getting a day by day calendar that showed you a word, how to say it and what it means along with a sentence. It was exotic and I enjoyed it. But about half way through the year the thrill faded - not because I was not interested but because I allowed myself to get caught up in other things that I decided were more important.

Now as I think back I realize that resolutions are like diets. It is what you make of it. If it has to succeed it has to become a way of life - a step up from where you used to be. There has to be intention and you have to know what you want and be firm.

This is very similar to what the Secret says, the Law of Attraction and all the similar philosophies. The Universe is like a giving tree and it will grant you what you ask for. However if you are uncertain, it will give you uncertainty. I understand it yet I find it so difficult to put it in practice. I start with all good intentions and then falter out of fear. That is because of the social conditioning and how we are brought up. The skeptics will say - it does not work, it is a bunch of new age stuff, I don't believe it. I don't have to convince anyone - except myself and that is the hard part.

First I need to set a goal, then I need to decide that it has to manifest. It is not for me to decide how it gets manifested. I just need to be focused, decide what the goal is, I have to be clear about what I want and then declare it. I have to say it - not ask permission. As a Reiki master I know how important it is that all intentions have to be for the good of all. If it does not work it is probably for the best. Anything said out of fear or not for the greater good will not work. I have to be open to the signs that the Universe sends me and have faith that whatever happens is always for the best.

I figured if I write about it, it would force me to stick to it. So watch this blog as I document my progress . So here goes. Wish me luck.

No comments: