Sunday, March 8, 2009

Steeped in Spirituality

India has always been considered a nation steeped in spirituality and less materialistic whereas the United States has always been considered a nation leaning more towards materialism and less spirituality.

I never thouhgt too much about it until my recent trip. Nowhere else do I know where your daily routine is assimilated into your spiritual routine. While in the US everything is geared towards the weekend or holidays - there is no such concession in India. Things happen when they have to happen. If you can attend - great, if not - its okay. Surprisingly a lot of people do make it a priority to attend most religious functions.

I don't know of any other country that has as many holidays celebrating every religion as India does either. Talk about a true democracy. With all religions living in close proximity, nobody is averse to going to a church even if one is Hindu. The ultimate goal is to be able to talk to god and get him to listen to your prayers, so if lighting a few candles hastens the process - why not?

Lighting the lamp, chanting the prayers aloud, consulting astrologers to get a guidance on what actions to take for good results or meeting spiritually advanced Gurus to get guidance on life is quite the norm.

My daughter asked so what do normal people do - the ones that don't have access to all that. All I have to say is I am thankful that I have an extra means to talk to the Higher Power. I can only gain from it, no?

No comments: