Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Good times or Bad?

Would you consider the recession right now good times or bad? I can almost see the reactions of some people "What kind of a stupid question is that? Of course these are bad times." I am not so sure.

I would not call it bad times but in the spirit of a true optimist I would call it an opportunistic or challenging times. For example - if I had to start a business during the boom period - well it should not be hard - correct. People have money to spend and you have to sell. So what happens when the tides turn? Can you still stay afloat?

However - if you decide to start something during a recession - there is tremendous amount of competition. Not only that - for each job there are probably 30 contenders versus 2 or 3 during a boom time. This forces you to be creative and look for unique opportunities as well as something that will sustain. So what happens if the tide turns - well then things can only turn for the better.

Good times tend people to be complacent and take everything for granted. The recession forces people to be competitive and take a hard look at what they are doing and how long it is going to sustain them. It forces you to think, really think.

So where am I? I was in the thinking phase. Now, it is time for action. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Manoj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Manoj said...

All the best. Most ideas die at post ideation stage. Successful ideas are ones which are put into action.