Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How do you stay married for 10 years or more?

This was the question my teenager asked me over the phone. My first response was - why do you want to know? I had all sorts of scenarios going through my head. I was relieved to hear it was a part of sociology project. I told her to ask her dad.

However, her question was thought provoking. It made me start to think what has kept us going all these years. Most of the kids ask how can you stay with the same person for so long, I know I did when I was a kid. But now I realize how important is to have another person with you going through every event in your life.

I was curious to hear what he had to say about keeping a marriage together. He said it one sentence - similar values, children and companionship. it was the shortest interview with the most information. These are important factors - having similar values is the glue that holds it together, kids keep you busy early in the marriage and companionship is important so you don't die of boredom.

If anyone ever told you that marriage is a bed of roses - they are lying. No marriage is easy and you really have to work at it. It does not matter if you had an arranged marriage or a love marriage - you still got to work at it.

Don't take anything for granted and be happy whatever you do. Just my .02$.

No comments: