Thursday, July 16, 2009

Stereotypes

I watched a movie of Adam Sandler called Don't mess with the Zohan - a stereotypical movie that literally makes the cliche's come to life. A spoof on the life of Arab and Israelis living in America and the life of an immigrant.

It was funny - to me it was - I am not sure if a Middle Eastern saw it what they would think. It was light hearted and silly but I am not sure if my neighbour would appreciate it or maybe he would be OK with it - after all he is living in America.

I live in a multicultural neighbourhood - we have all the races, actually Caucasian may be a minority. The kids all go to the same school on the same bus. They don't see color when they see their friends, they see the person for who they are.

One day as we went for a walk we noticed the number of lights and motion sensor lights at the neighbour. We heard it was because some kids were vandalizing their property and harassing them. I had no idea since I live next door and never heard a thing.

You would think that once you come to America there would not be this kind of behaviour. You should be able to live without fear. However from what is happening around me, it looks like it is easy to target those that fall under the stereotypes.
Sad because it is the kids who are doing this - and all that because of fear. Even sadder is it is not the true nature of the kids but what they hear from the adults.
Everyone is scared and it is easy to hate and bully than try and all get along.

Actually if you look beyond the suspicion - everyone is just trying to make a living. Here in America - you can achieve so much - everyone is trying to follow their dreams.

So live and let live.

No comments: