Monday, January 26, 2009

3 ways to keep upbeat

Optimists - start your engines. President Obama was right. It is going to get worse before it gets better. 2009 started off with the worst unemployment numbers. Then some brick and mortar companies like Microsoft, Citibank, Caterpillar and Harley Davidson started announcing layoffs of thousands. In an economy like this how do you keep your chin up and stay positive?

1.Where are you financially? This is huge for most people. It is recommended that you have 6-8 months of living expenses in your savings. I am not sure how many peole have that, cause I sure don't. So what do you do? This is what I did. I have become quite good at saying 'NO'. Mom, can I buy lunch - NO. Mom, can I buy these $40 jeans - NO. Can I have my lesson - Not right now, but we will work around it. Now that last one hurt but we have worked out a compromise. You will be surprised how much more kids value their stuff when they have to pay for it or earn the right!!

2. Be grateful: Yeah, I know, I can hear the skeptics go "yeah right, grateful for what?" But hey - in my mind for every door closed, a window opens. You just have to look for it. I am grateful for a roof over my head, my health, my family - no matter how many skeptics and realists there are and for my friends who keep me smiling with all the crazy things we say and do, so much so the kids have named us the "Wild Moms".

3. Surround yourself with positive people: Well, it is kind of hard for people to be positive in this environment of doom and gloom. Even the media are having a field day with it. I wonder if the news readers every get depressed after reading the news? Most of my friends call me - I am Miss Sunshine. But after I talk to them I have to shake off that cloud and maybe call my team of mood picker upper just so I don't go spiraling into that depression mode.

Now - Say NO and make your coffee at home instead of Starbucks, look up and hopefully your roof is okay and don't turn the news on.

No comments: