Monday, May 4, 2009

A Simple Courtesy

It does not take much but it makes a huge difference. There was a going away party for a 6th grader. My son decided not to go because he had another birthday to go to.
Mistake number one.

I went for the going away party cause I wanted to say farewell. Some kids came, some came later because of other commitments. Another friend also had gone to the same birthday party and still came to the farewell. My son definitely could have gotten a ride. So I asked the mom who brought her son from the party to the farewell - and she said my son declined - Mistake number two.

I called and asked my husband if he could go and pick him and bring him - he declined.

By this time I was furious. When my son arrived home - he came up to me saying - I know I am going to get yelled at. O yes he was most definitely going to get yelled at.

Being part of a social group is so important for preteens but I think even more important is being part of the popular social group. And that is what happenned in this case.

What he had to realize is that small courtesis like stopping by and saying bye even when you have other things to do reflects on you as a person and how you value relationships. It may be a simple thing but it goes a long way.

So the next time he has to make a decision, he has to put himself in the other person's shoes and see if that is the right decision.

Hope he remembers the next time he has conflicting social events.

No comments: